With the progress of technology the healthcare sector has also seen major advancement. Things which are impossible in the past are now possible. Initially, it was difficult to get all the medical history of a patient in emergency. It is not possible to store and preserve all the paper reports and documents of a patient- It may get destroyed with time or worse, it may even get lost. But now it is possible.
With this advanced record systems one can easily avail all information of a patient whenever in need. Abbreviated as HER, this system can be maintained and managed by different providers and staffs of more than one organisation. A single EHR can bring all the information together from past and present doctors, various clinics, pharmacies, labs, and other medical facilities related to a particular patient.
EHR can manage patients in a better way, and in the following ways:
1. It gives latest, up-to-date information of the patient.
2. It provides accurate and clear medical records, thereby reducing the risk of medical errors.
3. Since electronic health record systems are well equipped with all the medical reports, these save the time from doing the same tests twice, thereby saving money and helping in taking better and faster decisions.
4. EHR improves the communication and interaction between the providers and the patient and in that way helps to identify and treat the symptoms at the earlier stage.
5. It also helps in proper and accurate billing.
6. It maintains privacy of the data of patients.
7. It promotes better healthy lifestyles by encouraging physical activity, proper nutrition, and so on.
8. It enables improved efficiency to the providers and helps them meet their business targets or goals.
9. EHR helps in improving the management of medical practice by increasing the cost savings.
10. EHR also verify that pharmacists give the right medications and dosages according to the requirement of the patient’s condition.
11. Implementing EHR reduces transcription services as well as expenses of overtime labour.
12. It provides the scope to connect and interact with other hospitals, clinics, etc.
13. Since the data is stored electronically, it increases data availability, thereby leading to analyse more quantitatively.
If we look from the business side, then it also proves to be beneficial. It provides greater and better staff due to the easy access of retrieving all the data of the patients; it records and tracks all the measures, enabling success for incentive programs and much more.